As a mom I’m always on a search to find healthy alternatives for my baby. I grew up loving PB&J sandwiches. It’s a classic, after all! Now there are so many ways to make this old time salty and sweet combo into a really nutritious snack or lunch. My Kids Vegan Gluten Free Peanut Butter and Jelly Toast is loved by my baby almost as much as by me! I always have to make one for myself 😉
I started baby-led weaning when my son was 4 months old, so it’s been super easy to feed him whatever I’m eating. He loves everything from tofu to broccoli to mangoes. There are some main tips I have found helpful to get your baby loving all natural foods.
- First, to get your baby to enjoy food it’s all about presentation. We all love to see a pretty plate, so I make sure I present his food in a beautiful or fun way. He smiles so big when he sees this happy PB&J!
- It’s important that those bites taste as good as they look! Experiment with different brands until you find the perfect taste. Chances are if you think it tastes delicious, your baby will too!
- Feed your baby only at the table. Snacking throughout the day confuses a baby as to when he is really hungry for food. I like to feed my baby at 8am, noon, 3 pm snack and 6pm.
- Introduce many foods as early as possible. We even introduced peanut butter early to reduce chances of allergies.
- Let your baby or child explore his plate and the food. This is the only time of his life when eating with his fingers and making a big mess is acceptable!
Kids Vegan Gluten Free Peanut Butter and Jelly Toast
Cook and Prep Time: 5 mins
1 slice gluten-free vegan bread, toasted (I love Food For Life cinnamon raisin bread)
1 T peanut/almond/cashew butter (I LOVE Kalot’s fruit and cashew butter!)
1/4 cup organic blueberries
Toast bread, spread peanut/almond/cashew butter, and top with blueberries and banana!
Mama on the Glow